From the newsroom of the BBC world servis.
Sunday, October 31, 1999 Published at 07:43 GMT
World: Asia-Pacific

Army 'responsible for Aceh massacre'

 
Reports from Indonesia say an official investigation into a massacre in Aceh last July has concluded the 50 or more victims were unarmed civilians shot by the Indonesian army.

The army subsequently said the dead were armed separatist rebels who had  attacked their forces, but a member of the investigation team told the  Indonesian news agency, Antara, that there was not enough evidence that the  victims had offered any resistance.

Human rights groups have reported that those killed were villagers forced  into a field and murdered. Violence in the Sumatran province, which has had  a separatist movement for decades, has claimed at least 200 lives so far  this year.